Steppingstone Music Opportunities, Inc (SMO) is a 501c (3) non-profit organization that operates the award winning Sad Cafe, a family friendly music venue located on Rte. 125 in Plaistow. Our mission is to promote and support positive life choices for youth through innovative programming. For fifteen years, The Sad Cafe has provided thousands of area teens a positive alternative for discretionary recreational hours. Teens from all over New England flock to the Sad Cafe to hear local youth bands in an environment that is safe, youth-friendly and substance free.
The Sad Cafe’ is
- New England’s Premier All Ages Music Venue.
- Is a wonderful place where music is the positive motivator for young people from all walks of life
- Has welcomed more than 5,500 bands and individual performers and 95,000 visitors
- Has no geographic boundaries
- Provides the opportunity for youth to perform live on stage in the presence of their peers.
- Is where youth feel safe, respected and supported
- Has a professional sound board, an audio engineer
- Provides a CD of each live performance to the artists
- Is the fiscal agent for the Southern Rockingham Coalition for Healthy Youth which serves the Timberlane and Sanborn School Districts. Together we have raised $1,122,000 to provide prevention, intervention, treatment and recovery programs that have benefit children, youth, and families in our area over the past 8 years
Much of The Sad Cafe’s work addresses the need for engaging our youth in a variety of positive activities and programs. We are working in a collaborative effort with the community to build and strengthen youth and family involvement.
The Sad Cafe is available for school functions, dances, community service events, a mini-conference center, pageants, work shops, music lessons, comedy, talent shows, poetry readings, youth groups, and private parties. We have a talented pool of DJs to choose from that would be just right for your gathering!
All contributions, services and goods are sincerely appreciated. Donations are tax deductible.